Hello! I've recently heard that most players in luna are from Indonesia. Since I like being friendly with random people and people are at their most comfortable speaking their own language I decided to learn the basics of their language. However, whats the use of learning a language if you don't know anything about it's culture. A great example is when I first learned American English and when to the US. I was great at speaking and writing the language but one day an American boy said "will you go out with me?" not knowing anything about the American culture I thought that boy meant that he wanted to physically go out somewhere after school. Back then I was a really busy kid so I said to him "Not now, I'm really busy. Maybe this weekend, depends on the amount of homework I get." Although I've read about America and it's culture from textbooks, the books I've read said nothing about this kind of stuff. So yes, I did broke a kid's heart without intending to and yes it was a boy that I liked. I found out, 2 years after the incident, what"going out" really meant.

Anyways I need the help ofthe natives to Indonesia to tell me the stuff that isn't found in textbooks. Tell me about your folklore, food, music, the hard stuff to understand in your language(example in English it's normal to say "I love my couch". A Spanish speaking person will be wierded out by you ans say "you want to f**k yo couch?") and throwing in some random facts wont hurt either.

Decided to update to see if the things I've learned today are legit, if they aren't please do tell.

​Reads about Indonesian politics, reaction: "Wow, your vote ACTUALLY counts! We don't have direct voting here in the States, it's such a shame that you guys had to go through some tough governmental revamping for a LONG time. Your government only spends 4% of it's budget on defense? Pretty cool, the US spends 48% of it's budget in defense."

Reads about the economy, reaction: "Not bad, Indonesians really took the bull by it's horns and took care of their economic crisis (it's still not perfect but it's way better now). Heck it's even estimated that within the next decade your economy will be among the top ten countries."

Reads about the culture and it's influences, reaction:*head explodes*"2..200 different ethnic groups each one with it's own language/dialect and culture. The good news is that the culture/language has influences with English and Portuguese  but the bad news is that it has strong influences with the Dutch(which was the hardest language I've ever encountered). No, no negative thoughts! Nobody ever accomplishes anything brooding over how hard something is, you can do this! I'll just learn the official language and learn mostly the Javanesse culture since half of the population in Indonesia lives in Java.

Reads about the food, reaction:"If you replace the chili with sugar and chicken with pork every other common ingredient used in Indonesian cuisine is exactly like Puerto Rico's. They are both essentially rice served with a piece of meat and sides, only that Indonesia's spicy while Puerto Rico's is sweet(sometimes a little too sweet).

Looks at pictures of Indonesian people, reaction: small children "AAAWWW! I wanna have Indonesian babies! They are so adorable!", women "They're pretty, haven't seen one that looks average yet.", men " There are some guys that look amazing but there's also guys that look ok.", and old people "For some strange reason they look like they'd be fun to hang out with."

Overall impression, Indonesia is a country full of people who can get things done, have awesome food,  experienced a horrible past but can get over it with good results and even though it still has  some issues they're diminishing them every year. So in the words of Yoda if he knew about Indonesia "Worth it is, to learn from them."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I admire your passion of trying to learn Indonesian language & cultures. Tell me if you need any help in case of any difficulties in learning it, I'll be sure to explain as good as I can :D

P.S = Indonesian language nowadays are completely rough, what I mean is that the "pure Indonesian" has almost gone. They usually use abbreviations that aren't in the dictionary. :mellow:

Javanese evrywhere :O , ,
Though i'm  a lil bit wondering if Padangnese is the actual ruler of Indonesia since all of us like Rendang and we could find Padang's Restaurant in every corner or Indonesia . . (sorry for my exaggregation , , gyahahaha)

Javanese evrywhere :o , ,

Though i'm  a lil bit wondering if Padangnese is the actual ruler of Indonesia since all of us like Rendang and we could find Padang's Restaurant in every corner or Indonesia . . (sorry for my exaggregation , , gyahahaha)

Its Padang, not padangnesse. Yet, you wont find rendang at bali ._.

No Rendang in bali? Oh yeah. I just remember why. =.=
I guess i should bring my own then when i (if i ever) go to Bali . . .
( i am a javanese ( i dream bout being a japanese too)  yet i like Rendang so much )

Those sound good! Can anyone give a recipe so that I could try? I googled the dishes but it's all in Indo and I don't trust Google translate.

Google Translate is a horror for learners like you -_-  Btw, which of the following would you like to try cooking it? (hope I can grab a bite of it though, haha :lol: )

The sate looks amazing with nasi goreng*drools a little * and the bubur ayam would be nice to try on cold days(unless it's a cold dish then it would be nice for summer).

There is few kind of satai(sate). fried rice (nasi goreng) is my fav. easy to make the basic. Bubur ayam or  chicken porridge is hot dishes

Do you like to read about this? How do u think? 

Borobudur

Trail_of_civilisations.jpg

Borobudur, or Barabudur, is a 9th-century Mahayana Buddhist Temple in MagelangCentral JavaIndonesia. The monument consists of six square platforms topped by three circular platforms, and is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504Buddha statues.[1] A main dome, located at the center of the top platform, is surrounded by 72 Buddha statues seated inside a perforated stupa.

Built in the 9th century during the reign of the Sailendra Dynasty, the temple's design in Gupta architecture reflects India's influence on the region. It also depicts the gupta style from India and shows influence of Buddhism as well as Hinduism.[2][3] The monument is both a shrine to the Lord Buddha and a place for Buddhist pilgrimage. The journey for pilgrims begins at the base of the monument and follows a path around the monument and ascends to the top through three levels symbolic of Buddhist cosmologyKāmadhātu (the world of desire), Rupadhatu (the world of forms) and Arupadhatu (the world of formlessness). The monument guides pilgrims through an extensive system of stairways and corridors with 1,460 narrative relief panels on the walls and the balustrades.

Evidence suggest Borobudur was constructed in the 9th century and abandoned following the 14th century decline of Hindu kingdoms in Java, and the Javanese conversion to Islam.[4] Worldwide knowledge of its existence was sparked in 1814 bySir Thomas Stamford Raffles, then the British ruler of Java, who was advised of its location by native Indonesians. Borobudur has since been preserved through several restorations. The largest restoration project was undertaken between 1975 and 1982 by the Indonesian government and UNESCO, following which the monument was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.[5] Borobudur is still used for pilgrimage; once a year Buddhists in Indonesia celebrate Vesak at the monument, and Borobudur is Indonesia's single most visited tourist attraction.[6][7][8]

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borobudur 

Do you like to read about this? How do u think? 

Borobudur

Trail_of_civilisations.jpg

Borobudur, or Barabudur, is a 9th-century Mahayana Buddhist Temple in MagelangCentral JavaIndonesia. The monument consists of six square platforms topped by three circular platforms, and is decorated with 2,672 relief panels and 504Buddha statues.[1] A main dome, located at the center of the top platform, is surrounded by 72 Buddha statues seated inside a perforated stupa.

Built in the 9th century during the reign of the Sailendra Dynasty, the temple's design in Gupta architecture reflects India's influence on the region. It also depicts the gupta style from India and shows influence of Buddhism as well as Hinduism.[2][3] The monument is both a shrine to the Lord Buddha and a place for Buddhist pilgrimage. The journey for pilgrims begins at the base of the monument and follows a path around the monument and ascends to the top through three levels symbolic of Buddhist cosmologyKāmadhātu (the world of desire), Rupadhatu (the world of forms) and Arupadhatu (the world of formlessness). The monument guides pilgrims through an extensive system of stairways and corridors with 1,460 narrative relief panels on the walls and the balustrades.

Evidence suggest Borobudur was constructed in the 9th century and abandoned following the 14th century decline of Hindu kingdoms in Java, and the Javanese conversion to Islam.[4] Worldwide knowledge of its existence was sparked in 1814 bySir Thomas Stamford Raffles, then the British ruler of Java, who was advised of its location by native Indonesians. Borobudur has since been preserved through several restorations. The largest restoration project was undertaken between 1975 and 1982 by the Indonesian government and UNESCO, following which the monument was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.[5] Borobudur is still used for pilgrimage; once a year Buddhists in Indonesia celebrate Vesak at the monument, and Borobudur is Indonesia's single most visited tourist attraction.[6][7][8]

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borobudur 

Hey, where did you get that? it's really cool

Yes, I've read about it and I think it's gorgeous. Maybe someday (when I'm rich) I'll go and visit as many islands as possible (maybe even smuggle an Indonesian orphan with me to america lol).  Thanks AngelOfFire I appreciated your offer. Well now I've successfully learned the Indonesian alphabet(written easy, pronouncing HARD) without reverting back to English or Spanish(thanks to Portuguese influences some of your letters sound Spanish) and started to learn the grammar portion.  Starting with the vowel sound changes so if there's "magical rules"(trying to make learning grammar sound fun, yay!) of spelling/pronouncing it would be greatly appreciated if explained to me.

Guest Derpyderp

i wanna learn indonesian too D; where'd you go to learn that. Rosetta stone cracked version ? lol 

faaaaaaart~~~~~~~ faaaaaaaaaart~~~~~~~~~~... ah yeah sorry, what the h*ll is that sound?

oh please... XD

even though I think is hard to translate some words from Indonesian... but at least I can try to explain it

:D :D :D

Actually since there's no official website for learning Indonesian I just got most of my knowledge from random websites and reconfirming it here or with my Indonesian friends. So of course you can learn it, just as long as you are really determined to find that info. I'll be posting my progress here so you can use that info to learn the language and vice versa. Who knows, maybe this could turn into the official learning Indonesian for English speakers :D

Actually since there's no official website for learning Indonesian I just got most of my knowledge from random websites and reconfirming it here or with my Indonesian friends. So of course you can learn it, just as long as you are really determined to find that info. I'll be posting my progress here so you can use that info to learn the language and vice versa. Who knows, maybe this could turn into the official learning Indonesian for English speakers :D

Perhaps...haha

Yes, I've read about it and I think it's gorgeous. Maybe someday (when I'm rich) I'll go and visit as many islands as possible (maybe even smuggle an Indonesian orphan with me to america lol). 

I love to hear that.  If you really want some day...  one thing you have to do.  

Put it in your dreams that you are being in Indonesia with any situation you think about that you are there with many friends and then Indonesian peoples are around you. Write it down in your dreams book as detail as you can imagine that and stick some pictures in it.

I believe if you do this ... and ....you really want too.  One day... perhaps you will be there.  Good luck  :)