Soul Arbiter Path advantage and disadvantage

Sky_Light12

i heard some people hesitant to decide path for SA . so i've created this thread to explain main advantages & disadvantage
note : before you ask , my apologies about my english-speaking skill . the only job path exception for this guide are : cleric , monk , inquirer & elemental master

let me know if there is problem on this guide

The main weakness of SA , is 1 AOE ( requiring either sorcerer or warlock ) and healing capabilities ( a lack of great heal from priest or bishop ) . now i'll put this path together , you have 2 options but only one can be choosen ( unless you have more than 1 character )

option A

KHmdqZ0.png

OR

option B

Ql6ZRzO.png

A's advantage

~ since bishop is priest's next tier , this path gains more deffs thanks to higher level shield buff , mind barrier and wisdom . when combined together with SA's ability to wear light armor , lv 8 armor link and lv 8 bless vital , making this path is perhaps , physically strongest mage along with considereable magic resistance

- with 5-6k defense on , A path could survive severe injuries inflicted by " Grand Master of knights " austere

~ this path also gains better max mana and mana regeneration ( something which warlock's high active skills makes it easy for them tires ) , particulary mana blast ( not to mention warlock's wide variety of offense skill and its high level of skill cause them use even more mana ) . even better with intensive mana , which reduces MP consumption

~ gains ability manipulate mana in 5 different ways : give ( mana transfer ) , restore ( mana blast ) , reduce maximum amount ( manaburn & curse weakness ) , drain ( manaburn & soul spear ) and finally , exchange ( bloodstream , user trades portion of their HP for MP )

~ this path's beholder reach up to lv 7 , making the user almost impossible to hide with stealth ( only dwarfed by cardinal's beholder )

~ while lacked boost spell ( a spell that is meant ace in your sleeves ) , instead user has orpheus's poem , which is basically int buff but also a party buff that increases up to 20 int at lv 2

~ with use of divine heal , it makes health regeneration faster than priest's healing capability which they're lacked one

~ at bishop's class , holy barrier peak at level 5 which protect the target within 9.6 seconds

~ at level 3 shrewd spell , bishop's cast speed ( 40% ) is twice faster than priest's shrewd spell ( at which remains lv 1 , 20% )

~ becoming bishop pushes angelic breath's potential up to lv 20 , thus drastically increase the sleep chance and reduced amount of magic defense placed upon your opponents

~ sacrifice skill makes it useful when the party ( other than user ) was in peril of death , be it guild war or otherwise . 

- group heal also helps provided reaching some level

~ user choosing this path can occupy role of healer , buffer and even tanker at same time

~ since bishop's mana is huge , other factor that affect MP consumptions are intensive mana and mana blast . 

- lets not forget the incapability of going higher level of fire blast and blizzard ( as well least variety of offensive skill )

- as result user can easily use the nature shield/burning rage and mind/lace ( mana-draining buff for mages, depend by race ) at reduced drawback

~ prior becoming SA , bishop also has advantage of lv 15 enhanced HP

A's disadvantage

~ though has orpheus's poem , some skill still has pathetic damage since the AOE ( fireblast and blizzard remains at lv 10 ) aren't that damaging compared to warlock's ( which pushed past to lv 10 ) , this includes lightning stun ( peak at lv 20 )

- this also affects leveling speed from lv 75 to lv 105 , especially solo

- in order to be capable hitter , the user must have right equipment to do so ( at which cost user alot of money ) or even trade defense for M.A ( with use of restat scroll , faust set/artifact which compromises ability to wear light armor )

~ as with most mage job , doesn't gain benefit from staff training passive skill as part of M.A extension

~ since the user can occupy role of healer in guild war , this makes the user targeted even more if they officially participated

- and by extension , the user must be conscious . if they're incapacitated or killed , the party members won't be healed until they saved them

~ even when becoming SA at lv 105 , the holy earthquake unlocked at lv 106 . which when learned , user overcomes the weakness of other two AOEs even at lv 10

~ curse weakness remains lv 4

B's advantage

~ lv 6 intelligence and lv 6 wizardry early advantage that bishop lacked prior becoming soul arbiter

~ wide variety of AOE : from wind spike to venom cloud , all are in your commands ( even wind spike are far from useless for warlock )

- also 2 AOEs powered further by leveling them past lv 10 , namely fireblast and blizzard

- and thanks to wide variety of AOEs , easier crowd control from lv 75 to lv 105

~ due warlock has 1 close ranged skill ( fire burst ) , this path allow user capable at close ranged combat ( becoming soul arbiter allows mastery of monk and inquirer's skills , which is holy swing , holy spike , holy uppercut and holy justice ) . on top of that , the user also repels their opponent twice ( holy uppercut and fire burst )

~ in addition , the lightning stun peak at lv 20 , which has chance of stunning foe at 80% chance and last nearly 5 second

~ once becoming soul arbiter , user can also combine passive skill staff training with witchcraft ( inquirer's counterpart of warlock's staff training ) and spell craft , potentially higher M.A as result

~ from warlock user gain spell boost ( at that time , act as player's ace card ) . becoming soul arbiter allows user learnt inquirer's counterpart , concentration ( in this case , up to lv 4 ) . both can be combined

~ warlock's curse weakness peak at lv 6 , though not potent as necromancer's....still better than A option

- with conjuction of curse weakness , wind anchor , holy spike and venom cloud , it makes attack speed even more slower , potentially frightening 2-handed fighters

~ freezing debuff chance and times are superior than sorcerer's , which is backup in case sleeping skill fails work first

~ powerful AOEs advantage before lv 106 ( at which A option struggles due their AOEs aren't potent as B option , until lv 106 )

B's disadvantage

~ lacking higher level of physical and magical deff buff , option B are fragile than option A

- similar to above , the beholder stay at lv 3
  - as for shrewd spell , stay at lv 1 ( 20% cast speed ) , as result can be stopped first before the attack connects to opponents ( i.e stuns , sleep )

~ thanks to wide variety of AOEs and skills , it eats up more mana as result if spammed
  - the higher one skill , the greater amount of required mana
  - lacks intensive mana , which is vital for an individual whose skills are extremely high but very consuming mana

~ though optionally by player , the angelic breath stay at lv 15

~ the hardest part of leveling is after becoming priest and prior becoming warlock , due lacking multiple AOE
  - in addition unable to learnt enhanced HP passive skill over lv 10 prior becoming soul arbiter ( which bishop capable early )

~ option B lacked ability to learnt divine heal

~ the combination of staff training and witchcraft does not work if the user wield anything other than wands/staffs ( particulary athena wielders )
  - this also extend to melee combinations , requiring wand/staff to use it in fullest potential ( both holy justice and fire burst can still used , though )

remember : to gain advantage in this job , you'll have to trade something to gain compensation , for example : going for option B trades defense over AOEs
to me , it takes a creativity to turn SA into formidable mage , so i invented my own combo for PVP :

Angelic breath > Manaburn > Holy Earthquake > Angelic breath > curse weakness > Holy Earthquake > repeat from start

i cleverly adapted this combo from watching magnuses & crusaders fight ( they used RI > double strike > shield bash > double strike > repeat from start ) . so i reimagine the combo not just limited to stun but also severe weakening and mana reducing ( though lacked DoT in my combo )
the weakness i knew so far is waiting cooldown of Holy Earthquake ( 7.6 second ) and the stun itself less than 3 second ( except at lv 10 , where it nows 3.3 second ) . also in the combo , its vital to have one of sleeping or freezing skills

sleep and freeze difference

sleep ( unfazed enemies but put them to sleep )
angelic breath not only put a foe to sleep ( for up to 28 sec ) but also reduce their magic defense ( for 30 sec )
sleeping soul is simply an inferior sleep to angelic breath ( lacking magic defense weakening ) , up to 20 sec but cheaper SP than its superior , angelic breath . note : the description is a bit wrong , its actually 20 sec but i don't know sleep % precisely
tranquility put multiple foe to asleep at once with range is major weakness , extensive cooldown and slower casting speed

freeze ( injure opponents but easily breaks free )
Chilling breeze single-target freezing but longer range and better freeze time
Blizzard froze multiple foe at once in exchange ice melt quicker

just one of these skill allows a soul arbiter going one on one aganist even wookiss , fighter of wind and potentially , austere . but it takes alot of time even with sleeping skill ( which meant to stop these bossess from attacking you for limited time , allowing you have time to recover )

also from what i've seen from my friends ( some necromancers and GMs ) , a soul arbiter can use this combo too

sleep skill > binding soul > curse weakness > use any high level DoT skills > soul spear & manaburn > start again at binding soul part

according to him , binding soul has longer range than cripple ( and in SA's case , has highest potential ) . though the DoT slowly kills the foe , my friend manages defeats the odd by spamming DoTs . however for SA , they can also combine it with soul spear and manaburn to make it worse ( both are painful spell and has range of 18m ) . the drawback is does not kill foe faster ( which is not effective for paladins ) and some enemies has long range skill if they're not archers ( who capable outrange mages from distance even if they're binded )

exclusive B path's combo

Lightning stun ( lv 20 max , 80% stun & 4.9 sec ) > soul spear ( at least lv 1 is powerful enough ) > holy justice ( high level or max if you have spare SP ) > stopping debuff ( either chilling breeze from lv 9 or angelic breath lv 15 max )

this combo is more damaging than my first combo ( even more with chilling breeze ) . but it has weakness spell spam eventually leads mana exhaustion ( coupled with fact that high spell like lv 20 lightning stun makes it easy to empty your mana , this is more troublesome if user enables mana-draining buff ) and for angelic breath , the sleep chance is up to 79% and sleep time is up to 23 second
however , with tandrem of lv 10 holy earthquake , it can act as backup if freeze/sleep are fail . making this path has better stuns than A option but sacrifices Angelic breath potential and consumes even more mana . when you have 2 deadly stuns , it may be possible to eliminate " cripple " spell's weakness since the short range binding makes it possible for the foe drag the user close enough to them ( a difficulties using combination of sleep spell and cripple spell )
note : for conjuction of holy earthquake and cripple , i haven't fully studied this combination with this combo

not combo but funny trick

as for cripple binding , you could TROLL a player that has repelling skill ( particulary magnus's Rune Impact ) , provided if you endure both Rune Impact and sonic boom , which would a dumb move because they actually push you far enough from their close-ranged attack , leaving them resorting with medium ranged AOE and sonic boom instead . however , this trick is not effective aganist any rogues that has " shield boomerang " skill because it attract/pulls you close enough to them or archer rogues , due their passive ability benefits them excels at long range combat ( unless you spam stun at them while they're tied down )

Another thing, with Path A you gain higher casting speed passives and also HP passives

(HP/MP job passive is the only one that currently works.)

Tranquility has a longer sleep timer than Angelic Breath, it's 30s but it takes longer to cast and has a shorter range.

Bishop can have good heals (Same with Bishop>RM) but it will take up much needed SP.

Also how could you go SA and forget it's strongest skill Holy Justice? It's the fastest casting mage skill in the game and packs a big punch at level 133.

A viable combo would be something like:

Angelic Breath> Holy Earthquake > Holy Justice>Mana Burn>Angelic Breath and repeat.

Holy Earthquakes stun at max level is 3.3s, more than enough time to cast Holy Justice and Mana Burn then cast Angelic Breath.

Considering Mana Burn is also still bugged at the moment it isnt a very useful skill.

SA also has the most HP of all mages. Don't forget that.

Another thing, with Path A you gain higher casting speed passives and also HP passives

(HP/MP job passive is the only one that currently works.)

1@ Tranquility has a longer sleep timer than Angelic Breath, it's 30s but it takes longer to cast and has a shorter range.

Bishop can have good heals (Same with Bishop>RM) but i just will take up much needed SP.

2@ Also how could you go SA and forget it's strongest skill Holy Justice? It's the fastest casting mage skill in the game and packs a big punch at level 133.

A viable combo would be something like:

Angelic Breath> Holy Earthquake > Holy Justice>Mana Burn>Angelic Breath and repeat.

3@ Holy Earthquakes stun at max level is 3.3s, more than enough time to cast Holy Justice and Mana Burn then cast Angelic Breath.

4@ Considering Mana Burn is also still bugged at the moment it isnt a very useful skill.

5@ SA also has the most HP of all mages. Don't forget that.

1@ are you sure ? because my bishop's AB has 35 second sleep time at lv 17

2@ my own combo sacrifices the usage of holy justice and turn undead , instead manaburn was enough put good harm thanks to angelic breath and curse weakness . it rely on stopping the opponent and weakening them but doesn't use DoT ( since it will wake them up ) unlike fighter's way

3@ hah...never been maxed HE before ( nor gains skill table ) , idk if i can remaster that combo at that point . i'll patch that one right away

4@ don't you mean soul spear are the one that is bugged ?

5@ both path when reaching soul arbiter , doesn't have enhanced HP difference ( apart bishop can get lv 15 enhanced HP earlier )

1@ are you sure ? because my bishop's AB has 35 second sleep time at lv 17

2@ my own combo sacrifices the usage of holy justice and turn undead , instead manaburn was enough put good harm thanks to angelic breath and curse weakness . it rely on stopping the opponent and weakening them but doesn't use DoT ( since it will wake them up ) unlike fighter's way

3@ hah...never been maxed HE before ( nor gains skill table ) , idk if i can remaster that combo at that point . i'll patch that one right away

4@ don't you mean soul spear are the one that is bugged ?

5@ both path when reaching soul arbiter , doesn't have enhanced HP difference ( apart bishop can get lv 15 enhanced HP earlier )

1. AB Sleep maxes at 25s, the -mdef effect is 30s. There is no sleep that sleeps for 35s.

2. Holy Justice is the strongest skill by far based on base damage and casting speed.. literally casts in half a second and does 1k base damage.

Also, any damage will wake a target up from sleep, DoT or not.

4. Mana Burn doesnt have an effect on targets aside from damage.

5. I meant when you get soul arbiter, it has a job passive that adds HP but doesnt show in your character passives.

Mana Burn are not bugged :)

Mana Burn has effect to decreasing MP or Total MP (I forgot which one). If you use Mana Burn continuously, you can see you're opponent's MP are decreased.

(I already test this with Fifin long time ago) :)

Mana Burn are not bugged :)

Mana Burn has effect to decreasing MP or Total MP (I forgot which one). If you use Mana Burn continuously, you can see you're opponent's MP are decreased.

(I already test this with Fifin long time ago) :)

right.....so that leaves soul spear are the one that is bugged

nope, soul spear are not bugged either (sorry for not reading your posts) xD

according testing all Mages Skills on that old days between Fifin and me, Soul Spear were not Bugged either

OOT:

we discussing all Mages skills too, and we were agree, only 1 Skills on Mage's Classes is bugged, and that skill is Devil Armor from Necromancer, on 2013 the skill Devil Armor were Fixed, so it means now there is no Bugged Skills anymore on Mage's Jobs. :)

(Fifin not online on forums recently, I actually want to discuss about Mana Burn and Soul Spear with her again) xD

nope, soul spear are not bugged either (sorry for not reading your posts) xD

according testing all Mages Skills on that old days between Fifin and me, Soul Spear were not Bugged either

OOT:

we discussing all Mages skills too, and we were agree, only 1 Skills on Mage's Classes is bugged, and that skill is Devil Armor from Necromancer, on 2013 the skill Devil Armor were Fixed, so it means now there is no Bugged Skills anymore on Mage's Jobs. :)

(Fifin not online on forums recently, I actually want to discuss about Mana Burn and Soul Spear with her again) xD

last time i was in 2013 , someone said the soul spear's debuff doesn't work . so this was patched while i was away or it worked since start ?

last time i was in 2013 , someone said the soul spear's debuff doesn't work . so this was patched while i was away or it worked since start ?

Soul Spear has an effect, it's just not as big as Mana Burns as it only subtracts 1k mp vs Mana Burn getting rid of 90%+2.1k mp.

Here are cuts of the damage/effects of both skills:

Mana Burn:

Mana%20Burn_zpsuo0kin3k.png

Soul Spear:

Soul%20Spear_zpsteat0ejh.png

Edited by Jonah
  • Upvote 2

Soul Spear has an effect, it's just not as big as Mana Burns as it only subtracts 1k mp vs Mana Burn getting rid of 90%+2.1k mp.

Mana Burn:

Soul Spear:

finally , after that skill calculator request gone wrong , this will do

On 7/6/2016 at 0:12 AM, Jonah said:

Mana Burn:

Soul Spear:

just tried Mana burn to my mage, it actually saps away like 60%ish of my max MP. And if it comes to "drain MP" it still bugged, because it doesn't burn any MP but reducing the max MP.

idk what would happen if you target warrior with this skill. A warrior without max MP passive.

25 minutes ago, Fifin said:

just tried Mana burn to my mage, it actually saps away like 60%ish of my max MP. And if it comes to "drain MP" it still bugged, because it doesn't burn any MP but reducing the max MP.

idk what would happen if you target warrior with this skill. A warrior without max MP passive.

well to make it even worse , warlock's curse weakness is tipped at lv 6 and when used in tandrem mana burn , it much painful to job that has very high MP consumption , low max MP and so many skills ( or at least , spamming skills ) . but , crusader using wisdom lv 10 in conjuction of mana storm might able to mitigate this

9 hours ago, Sky_Light12 said:

well to make it even worse , warlock's curse weakness is tipped at lv 6 and when used in tandrem mana burn , it much painful to job that has very high MP consumption , low max MP and so many skills ( or at least , spamming skills ) . but , crusader using wisdom lv 10 in conjuction of mana storm might able to mitigate this

in my mage chars, with 15k max mp (fully buffed), it saps like 10k-ish and left only 4k or something

while I strips all MP and wisdom gears, buffs, and use curse on her, she only have 3ksomething max MP, and Mana burn does burn about 2k of it, left only 9xx MP on my char. So generally it saps away like 60-70% of your max MP pool