Downtime April 9th, 2013

Brandon

• Founder

Hello, everyone.

It seems our server is currently under a rather large DDoS attack. Our server IP has been nulled until the traffic dies down.

The source of the attack appears to be an angry player who got banned and thinks by attacking us that he will get unbanned. This will not happen.

This only pushes us to move the server to a new provider even sooner. Our new provider will be able to filter any kind of DDoS attack like this and will also improve gameplay for players connection from Asia.

If you do not know what a DDoS attack is, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack - but I will quickly explain it. Our current server has a 1000 Mbps connection, but the attacker is attempting to push 2000-3000 Mbps of packets into the connection. They simply cannot fit and it causes the server to not be able to serve the legitimate traffic (our game server, website, etc).

In all the years of Celestia Luna, we've seen about 1-2 DDoS attacks, because of this we did not feel we needed a DDoS mitigation system in place. This will change now.

We have no tolerance for such threats and will not allow some angry child to cause us such issues. He does not understand who he is messing with.

The server will be offline for a bit while until the attack dies down or until we get the server moved to our new provider, whatever comes first.

I appreciate your patience, we're working as hard as we can.

That is all for now.

~ Celestia Luna Staff

• Upvote 15
  • Downvote 2

• Founder

The server is online, but it will be slightly laggy until we move things over to our new setup. If you cannot connect it means your DNS has not properly updated yet, you can either wait for it to update or change your DNS servers. The website will return once it's moved over as well.

That is all for now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Founder

I am replying here instead of opening a new topic.

It seems we're under attack again today, the attacker has been attacking the server multiple times over the last few weeks. We're going to be moving our protection to another provider as the current one cannot seem to handle these kind of attacks.

That is all for now.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

• Founder

I'd just like to point out that we're having severe connection issues today. If this is not cleared up in a few hours we'll be deploying an emergency plan to stabilize the server on a backup network.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

• Founder

I've taken the server offline for maintenance due to the network issues causing it to become completely unstable.

We'll be attempting to work with our current provider one last time to resolve the issue, if they are unable to handle it I will deploying the plan I mentioned.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Founder

I'd just like to point out the server is back online under a temporary solution. There will an increased amount of lag from the normal amount, but you will be able to play. The lag will clear up once our hardware is in the new datacenter.

If you cannot connect at all, it's possible your DNS has not updated yet.

That is all for now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1