StarStruck

Before I put anything related to the topic I must put some facts before potential trolls take over.

1. Cooking is an art form which is why this topic is located under Art&Music

2.Just like Art&Music, cooking is heavily influenced by culture which is why I'm discussing culture

in this section.

Now that we cleared some things lets get back to the topic

I made Flan last night and sent the pictures of it to my friends but received interesting results.

Some replied "it's pudding! Yay, you made Pudding can I has?" while others said "Mmm~Flan is my fav, I'm coming to your house today to hang *not telling if it's because of the flan*". I was puzzled so I went to my British friend (because English originated in the UK) and asked what pudding was to him and he said "it's a type of sausage" and then I showed him the picture of what I made and he said that it was a "custard". So now I'm profoundly confused as to how it went from custard to flan to pudding? Why is chocolate pudding also called pudding in the UK if it has nothing to do with sausages? Why your average american calls it flan instead of custard? How do Asians prevent the confusion between pudding(flan) and pudding?

This was not meant to offend anyone, I was just generalizing and extremely curious about le flan issue

well, honestly I'm not quite familiar with food terms. As long as that food is in jelly form, sweet and colorful, i will call it pudding.  ^_^
About that changing terms of flan from one country to another,. my mom doesn't know either. 

LOL, from a flan to pudding is okay I guess since flan is identical to pudding due to its look. But....Sausage with pudding? was that British guy joking with you? :huh:

The sausage is called blood pudding and there's another one but I forgot what's called but it's white and is also called  ****pudding. So no joke, there are sausages called pudding in the UK. The best part is that they don't have flan/pudding inside so why do they call them pudding is mind-bending.

• 2 months later...

The history of crème caramel/flan/custard is very interesting! It originated from the ancient Romans, where eggs were very prominent in Roman cuisine, though the first flans were usually savory and not very sweet. Long story short, though, the reason why custard and flan are used as synonyms is due to the fact that both have eggs as primary ingredients.The reason why pudding was likely thrown into the name association was due to the texture of the crème caramel, as well as the common method of making it, which was by boiling and thickening the food item before it changed into its semi-solidified (though very jiggly!) shape. 

In America, flan is more commonly used because in Latin America, that is the term used most commonly (and it is a quite popular and well known dessert!). 

As for Asian countries, I guess purin (pudding) is frequently used because of the ease of use/commodity of the term, but I'm not quite clear on that!

If you ever want to learn more, this website (http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpuddings.html#caramel) is very informative!    

• Game Master

I made flan in my Spanish class once, it's much different than what I consider to be pudding. Pudding is smooth and doesn't have much structure, really. It globs around cause it's pudding, you know? Flan does have structure, though, it stays the same shape for the most part when you take a spoonful, and the consistency is disgusting. It's like jello-y yet lumpy, and I am not a fan.