Bring Back the Axe

Allwayspossible

My suggestion is to change Axes back to where they can use Sonic Boom and Spirit Sword. I understand that maybe it will go against the skill descriptions, however, for those who have already wasted a ton of time and money on their Axes, it is a bit of a buzzkill. With the introduction to level 135 weapons, edited Human Swordmasters are cranking tanks for anywhere from 73k 73k to 83k 83k unbuffed due to crit damage. Elves no longer have the benefit of crit damage from their weapon due to the change in how they work.

I am not certain if this was an attempt to further balance the game or not, but I believe the game will continue to be balanced for the most part despite Axes. For a player who loves an Elven Fighter, sometimes I feel a bit useless with the lack of extra damage, especially when facing another tank or a mage. I would also like to argue on point of the non-edited players who choose to play let's say a non-edited magnus or elf-paladin, they feel a bit overwhelmed by some of the edited players as well as non-edited players when they don't have that extra crit damage to compete.

I suppose in some ways axe is still a playable weapon but hardly anyone uses them anymore due to the lack of range it has, now that it not longer supports sonic boom or spirit sword. It is also more a challenge for the non-edited players to achieve decent crit rate without the weapon. I do understand other weapons may or may not have received a bit of a debuff as well, such as those who dual wield daggers can no longer use Shield Boomerang, however...they can now use a plethora of other skills that back then were no possible with dual wielding. Also, it hardly matters due to the fact that Rogues have stealth for a quick and slick getaway and approach method.

I also understand that 2h swords cannot use sword storm anymore, which again, matters not, due to the fact that it still has the support of range. Wands have not been changed, bows have not been changed, daggers to an extent (depending on your perspective...) have been buffed. So why is it that Axe was so heavily displaced? The Hurricane Eye used to be worth just as much as the other PD Weapons (clean was about 45-50 billion, and dirty was anywhere over 70 billion.) Now the poor things at their best are worth 25b in the market (I saw someone selling one for 15b) due to their becoming obsolete. 

I believe I speak for all the Eleven Fighters when I say that I really miss the axe, and I was looking forward to purchasing the lv. 135 1h Axe and 2h Axe from PD but I have to settle for the swords instead now which is a bummer. I hope anyone who sees this can understand my point and hopefully agree. 

Edit: Also, the reasoning is the description of the skill in game, why not just change the description?

• Like 3

While I do agree axe needs a bit more love as well as mace, I think if sonic boom is added to axe, what’s stopping a human from adding even more crit damage by using axes on an SM that has rage burst?  

Because if I’m not mistaken, rage burst does have an impact on all weapon damage. 

I do believe sonic boom should be open use but have a shorter range for non sword masters.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator

I'm sorry but we will not be moving forward in that direction, sonic/double sonic boom should not have the range it does for an attack skill. You are a melee class, you should not depend on 1-2 ranged skills and forget the rest, that is a choice, not a necessity.

We will look into balancing skills around weapons but we will also look into balancing range and utility skills in classes. Yes that means you might lose range but we will make sure you gain something that keeps melee classes balanced and able to compete with ranged and magical classes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Orange said:

I'm sorry but we will not be moving forward in that direction, sonic/double sonic boom should not have the range it does for an attack skill. You are a melee class, you should not depend on 1-2 ranged skills and forget the rest, that is a choice, not a necessity.

We will look into balancing skills around weapons but we will also look into balancing range and utility skills in classes. Yes that means you might lose range but we will make sure you gain something that keeps melee classes balanced and able to compete with ranged and magical classes.

I understand what you are saying to some degree, however I respectively disagree with your point about "you should not depend on 1-2 ranged skills and forget the rest, that is a choice, not a necessity." Sonic boom in some regards is a necessity (attempting to face a cardinal or rogue without sonic boom in a guild war is going to make for an easy kill for their side,) but I would not say that this is the only skill a fighter relies on. Paladins and Magnuses alike use double strike, cross slash, sword storm, spirit sword, bloody sky, shield barrier, invulnerable, and heal. Far from relying on 1-2 skills.

Swordmasters on the other hand do rely heavily on those two skills because quite frankly, that's all they really have. Attempting to close in as a glass cannon is only going to make you easier to kill when you consider rogues having dagger blow and mages having shield of justice, lightning stun, and even holy-justice. May I please ask what you mean when you say "you might lose range but we will make sure you gain something that keeps melee classes balanced" ? I understand exact information may be confidential, but I'd like an example if you don't mind. 

Edit: Also, Destroyers, Crusaders, and Panzers, DEFINITELY do not rely on sonic boom. I'm just having trouble understanding what significant balancing was a result of nerfing the axe.

• Like 1

• Administrator

There are other ways for melee classes to win besides long range skills, it's MELEE. We can create invulnerability for melee classes, immunity to stuns/sleeps/paralyze, immunity to speed and movement impairing debuffs , roots, speed reductions to catch up to enemies, there's no limit.

You say "paladins and magnuses use..." but swordmaster only has those 2 skills, while it is true swordmaster has way too few skills compared to other classes, why not suggest expanding their skill list? And swordmasters are SWORDmasters, they are most proficient with swords, using them in this argument is pointless.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Orange said:

There are other ways for melee classes to win besides long range skills, it's MELEE. We can create invulnerability for melee classes, immunity to stuns/sleeps/paralyze, immunity to speed and movement impairing debuffs , roots, speed reductions to catch up to enemies, there's no limit.

You say "paladins and magnuses use..." but swordmaster only has those 2 skills, while it is true swordmaster has way too few skills compared to other classes, why not suggest expanding their skill list? And swordmasters are SWORDmasters, they are most proficient with swords, using them in this argument is pointless.

I only addressed swordmasters so that no one said I was purposely excluding them, I mentioned all the fighter classes to express how they do or do not rely on sonic boom as you put it. However now that I am reading your response I suppose that would be better. 

You said "why not suggest expanding their skill list?" well that's because I'm not sure what other skills would be of any service to them if their range was decreased. I an understand decreasing the range a Hybrid or Tanker has, but if we're talking the skill itself I don't see how that won't affect Swordmasters, unless of course their Sonic Boom range is not altered. But even still, in all of this I don't understand what that has to do with AXES which was my main point.

Suppose the range of sonic boom is decreased to whatever speed, I still don't understand what about the axe makes it where they should not be able to use them, or at the very least spirit sword. I've asked other players for their input and their argument is similar to yours, but their arguments are more towards Magnuses and Paladins in general. Saying that they should not have Defense, HP, Attack, Block, and strike (basically the entire kit,) and that something should be sacrificed. I understand that way of thinking, but again, my entire point is about the axe. 

If it's about fighters in general and how their SKILLS should be nerfed, why not just nerf the skills and not the weapons? The main idea is to find a way to incorporate axes again because at the moment it's a dead weapon.

• Like 1

• Administrator

You wanted axes to be better and your best way of doing that was to remove sb/dsb from sword only, I stated that we will look into balancing weapons and their skills in the future, the topic derailed because you disagreed with my point about range.