Windows 10 Freezing/Crashing During Play

Sabel

Hi! So I recently switched to a Windows 10 laptop from a Windows 8.1 with 16GB RAM. Both laptops are Acers. When I played CL on the Windows 8 laptop I never encountered this issue but with the Windows 10, these issues seem to arise:

1. Game suddenly freezes followed by all input to the laptop (keyboard, mouse, sound and screen all freezes and glitches out).

2. Screen goes black for about 5 seconds 

3. When the screen regains itself, the game continues on. Sometimes in worst case, it crashes the entire client out.

These sort of blackouts happen multiple times each play session if it recovers itself. I've already tried:
1. Changing compatibility to Windows 8

2. Changing the color to 16-bit

3. Adjusted the game's resolution due to perhaps it being too small for my laptops display resolution

4. Ran the client in Administrator mode.

5. Uninstalling and re-installing

6. Attempted to updated my graphics driver. System says they are updated to latest driver.

None of my methods have worked and I am at a loss. I cannot even run two clients at once because the problem happens again with it too. The game has never done this on the Windows 8 so I assumed it may be a Windows 10 issue? But I'd love some help in fixing this! Any and all would help. Thank you so much.

• Administrator

Hi, we've been running windows 10 for years now and never had that problem.

If it's brand new install of windows perhaps your settings are different on both laptops, things like the overlay when you run/install new apps, etc. There is a problem with the graphics if you have "User Account Control Settings" set to level 3,4 where it dims your screen when it pops up, level 2 still notifies but does not dim your screen, try that one see if it helps.

image.png

You can also try adding the game client and folder to your antivirus exceptions (windows defender included).

Another thing is in your graphics settings (not windows settings, the app that comes with your graphics card, like nvidia settings, etc, if you have a dedicated graphics card that is) there are settings that overwrite the game, like anti-aliasing and etc, all of those should be set to "application controlled".

image.png

Try those and let me know if it changes anything.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! So after some time of trying, none of the suggested steps solved the problem :( . So I figured maybe something is wrong with the GPU itself. I found a update and downloaded it and it did work in stopping the entire laptop from freezing and going black but it caused another problem in its steed: My laptop won't wake up from sleep mode unless I do a hard reset. So frustrated, I rolled back to the version before the updated GPU and now I am back at square one with the freezing and crashing :(. It seems any excess graphics/chars/monsters causes the issue. I'm worried by GPU is bad or can't handle the game which is insane as I just bought this laptop. It says it comes with Intel Irisx Graphics. This really sucks.

• Administrator

Are you playing in windowed mode and setting anti-aliasing to 0? 

You said the graphics driver update solved some issues so it seems like a problem with drivers, I would try to update every single driver and any windows updates you have pending.

Yup, in windows mode and the anti is at 0 by default. It's very weird. All the drives are currently okay and recent as well. I guess I'll have to deal with the freezing :(. Thank you for all the advice from earlier!

• Administrator

You should contact the service center for your laptop and explain to them the issue, it's obviously malfunctioning if you have that issue with waking it up from sleeping (maybe it's just the screen itself?) when you update the graphics drivers, which should always be up to date. Having such issues after you just bought the machine is not normal.

Have you tried other games?

Oh I already tried lol. They all blame the game being unstable with Windows 10, because after rolling back the graphics update fixed the sleeping issue. The blacking out doesn't happen with other games surprisingly! I tested some steam games for an hour and nothing like what occurs with Luna happened with them. I'm honestly so very confused, but I think I'll have to wait it out and hope any future windows updates will fix it. Could be for the fact I haven't downloaded the Windows 10 version 21H1? I read it brought a lot of issues and BSoD, so I haven't felt the need to install.

• Administrator

You've tried compatibility to win8 but have you tried win7 or lower?

Have you also tried installing in a different location? you say it freezes when loading things on screen, perhaps it's having trouble accessing the files.

I haven't tried win7 compatibility but I will try it and see.

And yes just yesterday! I originally had it installed in the default C drive. One Drive attempts to back up/sync stuff on my computer and it was having trouble doing so with CL. I thought this might be the problem so I uninstalled it and installed it to my other drive. One Drive is still giving that sync error that I do not have access to permissions for it but I'm ignoring it. When in the new drive, it did still freeze up but didn't crash as often. No error message pops up saying why though

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

It's frustrating when things don't work smoothly, right? I recently stumbled upon a Reddit sub that covers various Windows-related topics, and it's been a treasure trove of helpful tips. You might find some solutions there too! Regarding your game freezing and crashing issues, it sounds like you've tried a lot of troubleshooting steps already. Kudos for that! Since you had no problems with Windows 8, it's possible that this is a Windows 10-specific issue. One suggestion I'd make is to double-check if your graphics drivers are truly up to date. Sometimes the system might not recognize the latest version. Also, keep an eye out for any driver updates specifically tailored for Windows 10.