Friend Tries To Install And It Tells Him Wrong Version?

Veteran99

If he doesn't run it as admin, he gets an error telling him it's the wrong version for his OS, and to check with the software publisher for a x86 or x64 version. Thing is, me and him share the same OS, Windows 7.

Then, if he runs as admin, it tells him Windows cannot find "file path of the installer here". Even though it's clearly on his computer. We tried moving it from his desktop to his downloads folder and it did the same thing.

• Administrator

Our client has 0 problems with a freshly installed Windows 7, we have tried it countless times. 

If you have already installed the game running the installer you downloaded from our website CelestiaLuna-AlphaSetup-1.1.exe and you are having the problems you mention then go to your game folder (typically C:\Program Files(x86)\Celestia Luna Online Alpha) and right click LUNAClient.exe and open Properties and go to Compatibility tab and select Windows XP Service Pack 3, see if that solves it.

• Administrator

I'm referring to the installer itself. He doesn't have the game installed, that's the issue, the installer won't work. He downloaded it using Internet Explorer, could this be the problem?

Advise your friend to install another browser, Chrome or Firefox would be best. 

Sounds like the installer might be corrupt, there's a tool to download files which allows you to pause and stop a download and resume it without any problems at anytime, helps a lot if you have a bad or slow connection. Check out Free Download Manager.

He's opposed to installing anything, he tried it in Chrome and no luck :i. I actually sent him the installer through email and it's still telling him that Windows can't find the path. Thank you for the assistance though, I appreciate your input.

• Administrator

After some Googling it seems that this error is because some program is blocking the installer from being executed, in most cases an antivirus, some antiviruses see our installed client as a false positive making players disable their antivirus, add an exception to the files or use the "gaming mode" that some antiviruses have that equals disabling the antivirus for a period of time.

Tell him to go to his antivirus and go to "Exceptions", in AVG the option to add file exceptions is in "Advanced Settings", every antivirus is different so if he needs to find out how to do it just google "-His antivirus name- how to add exception", and add the installer exe as an exception from the antivirus.

If that still doesn't work tell him to check his Quarantine, quarantined files (or Virus Vault for AVG for example), and extract/restore it from there and THEN add the exception and try to run the installer again.

If all of that still fails then disable the antivirus completely and REDOWNLOAD the installer while the antivirus is disabled, install while the antivirus is disabled as well.

He will need to add LUNAClient.exe to his antivirus exception after install again to not have any further problems.

The problem with the false positives will be solved in our coming patches so no more trouble with your antiviruses!

Thanks again for a quick and precise response Orange, but Norton told him it could not restore the installer. When he tries to end the process running Norton, it tells him access denied. We're doing this over screen sharing in Skype, I've been guiding him through Quarantine and Exclusions but Norton is literally telling us "Nope" at every turn. It told us "Failed to restore and add to exclusions" So I got him to uninstall it and, the exact same problems are still here :i. Nothing changed. He did restart after uninstalling Norton. I also checked his msconfig, and he doesn't have any startup programs launching at system startup, so not sure what's going on here.

However, once we removed anything related to the installer, and he re-downloaded it, IT WORKED! Thank you so much! I had to do something similar but it wasn't as specific as this scenario. Thanks again, now we can relive our nostalgic days as Swordmasters :D. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

• Administrator

Thanks again for a quick and precise response Orange, but Norton told him it could not restore the installer. When he tries to end the process running Norton, it tells him access denied. We're doing this over screen sharing in Skype, I've been guiding him through Quarantine and Exclusions but Norton is literally telling us "Nope" at every turn. It told us "Failed to restore and add to exclusions" So I got him to uninstall it and, the exact same problems are still here :i. Nothing changed. He did restart after uninstalling Norton. I also checked his msconfig, and he doesn't have any startup programs launching at system startup, so not sure what's going on here.

However, once we removed anything related to the installer, and he re-downloaded it, IT WORKED! Thank you so much! I had to do something similar but it wasn't as specific as this scenario. Thanks again, now we can relive our nostalgic days as Swordmasters :D. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I hope you tried re-downloading and installing while the antivirus was disabled before you completely uninstalled it.

Anyhow, I'm glad it fixed it, I'm sure it was related to Norton, some programs uninstall but do not delete the "preferences" if you will so it may have still been locked away even after uninstalling.