May I ask why...

Kube

Question

Why is my antivirus picking up the patcher as a trojan horse? I'm not asking how to get past it or anything, I've already done that. But why on earth am I running something that is potentially hazardous to my computer's safety?

7 answers to this question

No, I get that it's apparently false, but why does it pick it up? I can play CL perfectly fine, but I want to know why it's being condiered malicious.

Antivirus is essentially nothing more than a dictionary. It holds "definitions" of several viruses, their characteristics, how they disguise themselves and all that. So I want to know what in the patcher makes CL look like a virus. Probably not a question that can be answered by anyone other than the people who work on the game.

It's mainly because most of the popular Anti-Viruses (Norton, AVG, Avast, Essentials etc.etc) use a database that is driven by customer input. No Anti-Virus in the world can have data on every single potential program available to a user so it stores data about all the different programs via data sent from people that are using the Anti Virus.

That way it builds up a database of the popular programs and starts to learn which things are considered safe. If you run a program that hardly anyone uses or a program that it has no data on, like an online game client, it will tell you that the file is dangerous, even though it isn't, because the Anti-Virus software believes it's better to not open an unknown file.